Romantic Valentine's Day Dinner
A romantic dinner for two is the perfect way to celebrate Valentine’s Day with your significant other. However, if you are looking for something a little bit more creative and intimate than the typical evening out at a restaurant, dinner at home is a great alternative.
You can still dress up special for the occasion and you won’t have to deal with a crowded restaurant, tipping the server, or trying to ignore the loud couple next to you. Here are some great ideas for how to pull off the perfect romantic Valentine’s Day dinner at home that the two of you will remember for years to come:
- Create a Romantic Table Setting: Cover the table with a cream colored linen table cloth. Roll up silverware in cloth napkins and tie with a red ribbon. For a table centerpiece, set up a small elegant vase of red roses. Be sure to keep the display low so that you will be able to see each other over the flowers (square vases work well for low centerpieces). Since there is nothing that sets the mood better than a candlelit dinner, set up two taper candles on the table. If you think you might need more light, you can set up other candles around or near the table. Remember to use unscented candles so that it doesn’t interfere with the flavors in your special meal.
- Set the Mood with Music: Make a playlist to play in the background of your romantic evening. You could choose a list of classic love songs like “I Could Fall in Love” by Selena, “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston, and “Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You" by Frankie Valli. Or, you could make a playlist of soft jazz or classical music. Whatever you decide, this evening is about the two of you spending time together so just play the music softly in the background of your romantic Valentine’s Day dinner at home.
- Make a Delicious Dinner: Prepare a delicious meal for the two of you to enjoy together. Try to make something that you wouldn’t have on an everyday occasion. Some ideas might be filet mignon, rack of lamb, scalloped oysters, or roasted duck. Don’t be afraid to try a new recipe for this Valentine’s Day dinner. It might also be fun to prepare the meal together so that you can laugh and enjoy each other’s company.
- Choose the Right Wine: Pick out a few bottles of delicious wine to go with the type of food that you are serving. Typically a lighter white wine like Sauvignon Blanc pairs perfectly with a white fish or chicken. Darker red wines like Merlot go well with pasta, red meat, duck, or smoked or grilled foods. Don’t forget to pair a sweet dessert wine to enhance the flavors of your after-dinner sweets!
- Dessert: There are many delicious and decadent desserts that you can share with your sweetheart after your romantic Valentine’s Day dinner. Pick up a decadent cheesecake, warm molten chocolate cake, or divine cream puff pastry for the two of you to enjoy together. There's always the classic Valentine's Day chocolates!
Love this article?
Sign up and we'll send more inspiration straight to you.Sign up now